The tomb of Pito Pito
Two years later, after losing his ship due to gambling debts, Dutrou-Bornier returned with the idea of staying and making his fortune. Together with the missionaries, he created the Council of State of Rapa Nui, concentrating the majority of the population in Hanga Roa and founding the town under the name of “Villa de Santa María de Rapa Nui”. Shortly thereafter, he married an island woman called Ko Reto Pua a Kurenga, taking her from her husband by force. Although she did not belong to the tribal royalty, he proclaimed her “Queen” and established himself as Juan I, King of Easter Island. He had two daughters with her: Caroline (1869-1952) and Marthe Hariette (1870-1917).
Bornier took over all the cultivated land to develop it as a sheep ranch and began to build stone walls on a small scale to divide the Island into fields for the animals. By 1875, most of the land belonged to Bornier, while the rest was in the name of “Queen” Koreto, but, due to the abuses that he was inflicting on the Islanders, the resentment and hatreds accumulated and gave an indication that his days were numbered. The following year, he was assassinated, which left the Island in the hands of a commercial Tahitian firm for several years. Both of Bornier’s daughters married natives and formed families, the Araki-Bornier and the Paoa-Bornier, which are still important today with a vast number of descendents who continue to live on the Island. In recent years, these families have become interested in rescuing the tomb lost among the weeds and tall grass and taking care of it in Mataveri, in the sector that is today under the management of Carabineros de Chile.
Few know that Pitcairn is one of the islands in the world that have been inhabited in past times and then abandoned, leaving archaeological remains in its wake.
Let history remain historyThe first Europeans who came into contact with Te Pito te Henua were three Dutch ships commanded by Jacob Roggeveen on April 5, 1722, the date of Easter. This originated the name with which this unknown island was baptized that had not been...
The wreck of “El Dorado”On the morning of Wednesday, June 11, 1913, the small American steam schooner “El Dorado” of the Sanders & Drinkwater shipping company had been sailing along the west coast of America for two months, not realizing that the Humboldt current...