American satellites tracked in Rapa Nui
The Rapanui people were awed. In Mataveri, where today one finds the offices of the Civil Aeronautics Authority, sixty containers began to fall from the heavens with material for dormitories, cafeterias and dining halls, offices, electrical generators, a dental clinic. The enormous Hercules airplanes also left another fifty containers on the side of the road to Rano Kau volcano in an area that was totally surrounded by a barbed wire fence. No Island authorities were allow inside, only the Americans. They all wore white; to the locals, they looked like doctors. They even denied entry to the then President of the Chilean Senate, Dr. Salvador Allende , who visited the Island escorting guerillas who had survived the jungle battles alongside Che Guevara to French Polynesia (Tahiti). His only comment was, “Here in Chile, many things are going on about which we have no idea.”
The sudden departure of the Americans caused great surprise in the Island. It began on September 5, 1970, one day after the election of Salvador Allende as President of Chile and was completed in January of 1971. Very early, around 5 a.m., the Hercules airplanes landed again at Mataveri airport and the US naval transport “Wayandot” and a SHOLS (Single Hoist Ordnance Loading System) frigate dropped anchors outside Hanga Pico Bay. In less than seven hours, most of the military base was dismantled, with no explanation offered. At midday an airplane brought the US Ambassador to Chile, David Young, to sign a document with the local governor in which the United States donated to the government of Chile for Easter Island the electrical station to light the houses of the town, a crane, six trucks and a small bus, a bulldozer and other heavy machinery, a radio station and the dental clinic to be run by the Chilean Air Force. As soon as that was done the ambassador returned to the airport to re-embark. The Hercules planes had already left, as well as the naval vessels. The now-unemployed personnel and many Rapanui girls, some pregnant and others with babies in arm, said emotional good-byes to their “gringos” with many tears and waves, For some, the sadness didn’t last long. A short while later a special plane from the US Air Force appeared to take 13 Rapanui women and one Chilean to rejoin their beloved airmen. Today at least five of them have come back, either alone or bringing their family. The Rapanui, sooner or later, always return to their Island.
Few know that Pitcairn is one of the islands in the world that have been inhabited in past times and then abandoned, leaving archaeological remains in its wake.
Let history remain historyThe first Europeans who came into contact with Te Pito te Henua were three Dutch ships commanded by Jacob Roggeveen on April 5, 1722, the date of Easter. This originated the name with which this unknown island was baptized that had not been...
The wreck of “El Dorado”On the morning of Wednesday, June 11, 1913, the small American steam schooner “El Dorado” of the Sanders & Drinkwater shipping company had been sailing along the west coast of America for two months, not realizing that the Humboldt current...